General Finishes Water-Based Enduro Pre-Cat Lacquer clear-drying wood finish uses new technology in the polymer manufacturing process. This unique formula produces a smaller and smoother particle, which translates into a big increase in film clarity. The chemical, water, and yellowing resistance are superior to competitors, waterborne or solvent. With superior block resistance and the ability to pack or stack after 12 hours of drying at a great price point, this is the perfect professional coating when fast production time is needed.
Don't forget your sandpaper!
CAUTION: Do not use GF Enduro Pre-Cat Lacquer or any other clear coat, over white or light paints such as GF Milk Paint, or GF White Poly as it may cause yellowing. Any clear coat can become reactive over wood substrates or existing finishes, causing tannin or dye bleed-though regardless of priming. All of GF's white paints do not require a topcoat. Do not use water-based products with Linseed Oils or Danish Oils.
Product colors: Water White in can (dries clear)
Base type: Water
Sheen: Flat (10 or less), Satin (25-35), Semi-Gloss (50-60), Gloss (80+)
Interior or exterior: Interior only
Type: Self-crosslinking Acrylic
Coats: 3 coats
Application method: Spray
Useable over existing finishes: Yes
Spray tip sizes: HVLP 1.1mm-1.3mm
Dry Time - Touch: 10+ min.
Dry Time - Recoat: 1+ hr
Dry Time - Light Use: 7-10 days
Dry Time - Cure: 21 days
Coverage: 450 sq. ft./gal
Viscosity (cPs): 350-450
- Sand no finer than 220 grit.
- Remove dust.
- Scuff clean with a non-woven abrasive pad & 50:50 mix of denatured alcohol & water.
- Dry 1-2 hours.
- Sand lightly with 220-320-grit sanding sponge.
- Remove dust.
- Work in a well-ventilated area.
- Stir topcoat thoroughly to reincorporate solids that have settled to the bottom of the can before and throughout the application process. Do not shake.
- Test for adhesion when applying over an existing sealed surface.
- Thin as desired with distilled water; start with 5%, adding up to 10% by volume.
- Increase open time, if needed, with 10-15% by volume General Finishes Extender if allowed by local regulations. GF Extender will improve flow and leveling and increase open time, which is helpful in dry climates. California Residents: Adding more than 2% of GF Extender will make the product non-compliant per SCAQMD Regulations.
- Ready to spray from container. Apply a minimum of 3 coats.
Spray application: Before spraying, strain topcoat through a fine-mesh filter. Spray wet films at 3-5-mil thickness. Medium air cap. Fluid tip sizes: Compressed air: .040, HVLP: .043-.051 or Airless: .009-.013. Verify tip sizes with your equipment supplier. Keep your gun at a 90° angle, 6-8" from the surface. On large, flat areas, use wet, even patterns 6-8" wide. For narrow surfaces, reduce the fan pattern to 2-3" wide to reduce overspray. Overlap each pass 25% to conceal lines. Wear a mask and work in a ventilated space. Read here for more information on spraying techniques.
Face frames on cabinets: Enduro professional products are engineered to be spray-only but can be successfully applied to cabinet face frames or edges with a pad or small, cabinet-specific roller such as Whizz Velour brand. Larger areas may not level with a hand application. ALTERNATIVE: Use the same sheen of General Finishes High Performance Topcoat on areas that must be brushed.
- If a faster build is desired using clears over raw wood, use General Finishes Sanding Sealer for the first 1-2 coats, followed by 2 coats of Pre-Cat Lacquer.
- Finish sand between coats with a fine-grade (220-320) foam sanding pad or 400-grit sandpaper to improve smoothness and adhesion.
- Remove dust with a vacuum, compressed air, an oil-free tack cloth or a water-dampened rag.