The design criteria for the Powermatic 701 Benchtop Mortiser was very clear – accuracy, durability and user-friendly operation. The design process was further guided by a list of the features and concerns frequently expressed by woodworkers. The result is the groundbreaking Powermatic 701 Benchtop Mortiser you see here.
Accuracy and durability are based on oversized iron castings that form the base, column, head and fence. These crucial pieces are precisely cast and machined to create a super-stable platform that supports an industry-leading array of features. This foundation also means that the Powermatic 701 Benchtop Mortiser will be a cherished tool for generations.
The plunge action of the head is driven by a true rack and pinion gear system, operated by a large, 23“ long, solid steel arm. Effort is drastically reduced which means mortising in the toughest of woods with the precision you need has never been easier.
To make the Powermatic 701 Benchtop Mortiser equally comfortable for left and right handed operators, the lever arm can be mounted on the left or right side of the head by simply removing a finger-operated knob and moving the assembly to an identical spline on the other side. Both splines have ten positions so the lever arm can be quickly located for the best range of motion.
Most mortisers have their depth stop located to the side or ahead of the line of force where it can induce racking of the head and deflection of the bit. That deflection drastically increases lateral friction on the bit and compromises accuracy. To eliminate this problem, the Powermatic 701 Benchtop Mortiser depth stop is located on the column, directly on the line of force.
Equipped with a 3/4hp motor (1,725 rpm), the 701 Benchtop Mortiser features plenty of power and torque to drive the largest chisel and bit combinations in the toughest woods. The additional power also means that it runs easier and cooler, extending its life considerably.
Note: Does not include mortising chisels. Purchase them here.
- Heavy-duty reversible handle can be installed to either side of the head without tools
- Inline depth stop allows stopping at pre-set depths without racking the bit to the base
- 2" riser block for more over-table capacity
- Extra long solid steel arm
- Integrated chisel and tool holder with sharpening stone
- Large work surfaces on both table and fence for greater stability and accuracy
- Large, hinged chuck door with magnetic catch for rapid access to the chuck
- Quick action cam lock will quickly lock fence in position with one 90° movement
- Rack and pinion design for simple fence adjustments
- Stock hold-down with a double lock system, top and side, to eliminate slippage of workpiece
- Two integrated bit and chisel spacers for quick set up
Spindle Speed (RPM): 1,725
Style (Type): Benchtop
Chuck Size: 1/2"
Motor Power (HP): 3/4
Under Hold-Down: 5"
Motor Phase: 1
Motor Voltage (V.): 115/230
Prewired Voltage (V.): 115
Motor Amps: 15