General Finishes Clear Hard Wax Oil - Pint
- $ 44
Have questions? Give us a call at 260-637-0054.
This is General Finishes' easiest finish ever! Hard Wax Oil is a high-quality urethane-solids polymer in a blend of oil & wax that enhances the natural look of wood. The urethane gives Hard Wax Oil improved chemical and mechanical properties over standard oil & wax finishes. The recommended use is for interior raw wood furniture, millwork & woodworking projects.
What results you can expect? It will not crack or peel, can be buffed to a slightly higher sheen, and is very EASY to use. This is a maintenance product. Reapply when wear becomes evident.
Best used with optional GF Hardener to improve durability and shorten dry time. The combination of Hard Wax Oil & Hardener provides superior durability, and chemical and water resistance.
Don't forget your sandpaper!
Base Type: Oil & Wax
Interior or Exterior: Interior
Suggested Use: Furniture, millwork & woodworking projects
Application Method: Wipe on with synthetic non-woven pad, Trowel on with a blade applicator
Usable over existing finishes: No
Dry Time (touch): Immediately
Dry Time - Recoat: 24+
Cure Time: 5-7 days @ 70°F/21°C, 50% humidity, dependent on number of coats and use of optional hardener
Coverage: 60 sq. ft.
Viscosity: Very Thick
VOC: <50 g/L
- Sand with 120-grit sandpaper, followed by final 220-grit.
- Remove dust.
- Wipe surface down with mineral spirits on a clean cloth to remove dust from pores.
- Allow mineral spirits to dry before applying the GF Hard Wax Oil.
- With optional Hard Wax Oil Hardener, mix GF Hardener 10% by volume with GF Hard Wax Oil. For example, 1/4 tsp. of Hardener per ounce of Hard Wax Oil or 1/2 tsp. of Hardener per 2 fluid ounces of Hard Wax Oil. The finish can only be mixed once; mixed product will harden after 4-6 hours. The combination of Hard Wax Oil & Hardener provides the best overall durability, and chemical and water resistance. Do NOT use General Finishes NCO catalyst.
- Apply a thin coat with a trowel or non-woven synthetic pad. Spread evenly with a white non-woven pad or plastic spreader, one manageable section at a time. On large surfaces, use a white non-woven pad with a variable speed buffer or sander.
- Let rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Wipe off excess evenly with the grain & with light pressure using a clean terry cloth. Follow with a clean white non-woven pad until the surface is dry and smooth.
- If a second coat is needed, wait 24 hours. Prep the surface with a gray non-woven pad before applying.
Ideal conditions: 70°F/21°C; 50% humidity. Cooler temperatures, and higher humidity may prolong dry time. Use of the Hardener will shorten dry times.